Windows 10 doesn’t come with a built-in icon creator like Windows 7 or XP. However, you can use some simple tools to quickly create an iconic app and share it across the web.
The “custom icons windows 10” is a guide that will show you how to create your own custom icon in Windows 10. It’s easy!
authored by Matthew Adams
Expert in Windows and Software
Matthew is a freelance writer who has written a number of articles on different technology-related themes. His major interest is the Windows operating system and all that surrounds it. He is enthralled by… Read more
Updated on November 9th, 2021
Publish date: July 2020
- Customizing Windows 10 by adding your own unique icon designs to the desktop is a terrific way to make it your own.
- This article explains how to use Paint 3D to create your own desktop icons.
- Graphics design software guides may be found in our Graphics & Design area.
- Many more Windows 10 software instructions may be found in our How-To Hub.
Make sure you have the necessary software to back up your ideas! All you need is Creative Cloud to bring your ideas to reality. Combine all of the Adobe programs for incredible effects. You can create, edit, and render in a variety of formats using Creative Cloud:
- Infographics and 3D models
- There are several more works of art.
Windows 10 uses icons to show shortcuts on its desktop, which is a key part of the platform’s themes.
Customizing desktop icons is an excellent approach to give Windows a makeover if you choose to do so. For desktop shortcuts, you may make your own personalized icons.
To make your own icons, you’ll just need one art (or graphic) design program.
Paint and Paint 3D design programs are included with Windows 10. Either program may be used to create new icons. Paint 3D, on the other hand, is a more complete solution since it allows users to add 3D shapes and stickers to their icons.
In Windows 10, how can I design a custom icon?
1. Work using Adobe Illustrator.
- Install Adobe Illustrator if you haven’t already.
- Select New from the File menu.
- Set the width and height to 256px and the unit to Pixels. Select Create.
- Using the tools at your disposal, create your icon.
- Go to File and expand the Export area after you’re finished. Select Export for Screens from the drop-down menu.
- Select PNG as the format and click the gear button.
- Transparent is the new background color. Save your changes by clicking the Save button.
- Click on Export Artboard in the Export to pick your save place.
2. Use Paint 3D to create an icon.
Prepare the canvas
- To begin, press the Start button.
- From the Start menu’s program index, choose Paint 3D.
- In Paint 3D, choose New.
- To access the options immediately below, choose Canvas.
- To resize the canvas to 32 × 32, enter 32 in both the Width and Height boxes.
- To zoom in and out of the canvas, use your mouse wheel.
- On the Transparent canvas option, toggle it on.
Create the icon
- Brushes may be used to create an image on the canvas of your icon. You’ll need to use a 1 px weighting and choose Marker or Pixel Pen.
- Select the 2D forms option to create lines and two-dimensional shapes. Then choose a line, curve, or form choice from the drop-down menu.
- The 3D forms tab in Paint 3D offers a number of possibilities for incorporating three-dimensional shapes and models into your symbol. To access the 3D forms tab, click it.
- On the sidebar, choose a 3D object or model. Then, while holding down the left mouse button, move the pointer right to expand the chosen form so that it fits inside the canvas of your symbol.
- As seen in the image below, click the shape on the canvas to reveal its rotation possibilities.
Stickers may be used to personalize your icon.
- Paint 3D also comes with a tiny assortment of stickers that you can use as icons. Select the Stickers option from the drop-down menu.
- For the icon, choose a sticker.
- To add the chosen sticker, click outside the icon’s canvas area on the left side of the window.
- To compress the photo to fit inside the canvas, left-click the top right corner of the sticker and drag the mouse left.
- Drag the picture into the canvas while holding down the mouse button.
- To create a 3D effect, use the Make 3D button. The sticker may be rotated in the same way as 3D forms can.
- To choose downloadable clip art for your icons, go to Custom stickers > Add stickers.
3D items may be used to personalize your icon.
- Paint 3D also features a library of 3D pictures that you can use to customize your icons. To view the many picture categories, click 3D library.
- To add a picture to your canvas, simply click it.
- To fit the chosen picture inside the canvas of your symbol, you’ll probably need to scale it down somewhat. Click the top right corner of a picture, hold down the left mouse button, then drag the cursor left to scale it down.
Save the icon design to your computer as a picture.
- After you’ve completed designing your icon, go to Menu > Save As > Image.
- If you included a 3D model in your icon, an image preview will appear, as seen in the screenshot below. On the Save as type option, choose PNG.
- Save it by using the Save button.
- Choose a location to store the PNG picture.
- As the file format, choose 2D – PNG.
- Click the Save option after giving the picture a title.
Do you want to make the process of making icons a little easier? Check out our list of the finest icon creation software.
3. In Windows 10, how can I convert a JPEG to an icon?
- On the Online-Convert website, you may convert PNG, JPEG, and JPG files to icons. So, on a browser, go to that website’s Online image converter page.
- To pick the icon PNG you created in Paint 3D, click Choose files.
- To begin the conversion, press the Start button.
- Then choose Download from the drop-down menu.
4. How can I add new desktop icons?
- You may now place your new icon on your Windows 10 desktop. To do so, right-click an existing shortcut icon on your desktop and choose Properties.
- On the new window that appears, click the Customize tab.
- Change the icon by using the Change Icon button.
- On the Change Icon box, click the Browse button.
- Then, on the folder where your ICO file was downloaded, choose it.
- Select the Open option.
- On the Change Icon box, click OK.
- Finally, choose the option to Apply.
- To close the window, click OK.
- On the desktop, your unique icon has now taken the place of the original. Paint 3D was used to create the heart symbol in the image below.
That’s how you may use Paint 3D to create your own personalized icons.
With a variety of icon creation applications, you may also create your own icon sets.
The finest icon creation software for Windows 10 is detailed in our icon maker guide.
Was this page of assistance to you? 6
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
There are two responses to this post.
Windows 10 icons are a bit different than the icons in earlier versions of Windows. They’re much more detailed and have a lot more colors. In this article, we’ll go over how to create an icon in Windows 10. Reference: windows 10 icon size.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I create my own icons for Windows 10?
A: You can either use the Windows 10 Design Tool or you can open your preferred image editor such as Photoshop and draw them.
How do I create a custom icon?
A: You can create a custom icon by using the in-game Edit Profile feature. Custom icons cannot be played on PSN, and there is no way to transfer them either.
How do I create a desktop icon?
A: This is a highly complex process which I am not able to answer. While its possible, you should probably take the easiest route and just use Windows shortcuts instead since they are customizable in the settings menu of your operating system.
- windows 10 icons pack
- how to customize folder icon in windows 10
- how to make icons in illustrator
- how to change game icons windows 10
- convert jpg to ico windows 10